Craft Exhibitions, Education and Events Venue
50 Main Street, West Kilbride, North Ayrshire, KA23 9AR.Â Telephone: 01294 829179, Email: email@example.com
The Barony Centre is open 7 days per week throughout the year: Monday to Saturday: 10am - 5pm, Sunday 12noon - 5pm
The Barony Centre Cafe opens Monday to SaturdayÂ 10am with last orders at 4pm except Sundays when it opens at 12 noon.
West Kilbride Community Initiative Ltd has created a dedicated Craft Exhibition and Activities Centre both as a focal point for Craft Town Scotland and a regional focus for craft and design.Â Within one beautifully designed venue, visitors can enjoy touring craft and cross art form exhibitions, choose from a range of stunning craft work in the Gallery Shop, take part in creative activities and finish the visit off by sampling the Barony cafe's freshly made coffee and home baking.
Â The Barony Centre opened to the public on the 1st of May 2012 and was made possible by the following awards:
GCA Big Lottery Fund Scotland: Â£881,154
Town Centre Regeneration Fund: Â£296,290
Ayrshire LEADER: Â£266,634
Third Sector Enterprise Fund: Â£95,000
Robertson Trust: Â£60,000
North Ayrshire Council Landfill Communities Fund: Â£25,000
Nuclear Decommissioning Authority: Â£11,000
- The area leads directly on from an entrance hall and is designed to display a wide range of accessibly priced craftwork well, thereby creating opportunities for retail sales. It will incorporate display and sales points for a combination of craft goods organised in 4 distinct sections
- Gift Items manufactured by skilled local amateur makers
- Gift items manufactured by skilled semi-professional makers from local area and West of Scotland
- Accessibly priced collectable items made by established skilled designer-makers of national and international standard
- Craft Town Scotland branded merchandise
Craft Exhibition Gallery:
- Exhibition area that will showcase the diversity and innovation of contemporary craft practice whilst referencing heritage craft origins
- Flexible Area - partition when hosting several small exhibitions simultaneously, single area when exhibiting large scale work / solo shows/ touring exhibitions
- Multiple access routes, from those with little knowledge through to those critically informed in the fields of culture and contemporary craft.
Small flexible cafÃ© space
- Capable of seating 24, serves fabulous coffee and delicious home baking freshly made on the premises.
- This area has been specifically designed to retain a strong visual link between it and the exhibition space below by incorporating large areas of glass within the structure.
- Its design reflects the townâ€™s weaving heritage in a pared down abstraction ofÂ loom and warp threads.
- In addition to the practical requirements of operating flexible creative workshop spaces, the architectâ€™s brief reinforced the clients desire that the link between the making process, in all its stages through research and development to the finished piece, and the work on show in the exhibition space below be maintained.
The Robertson Trust Learning Studio:
- The dedicated Learning Space will allow us to support an annual inclusive programme of lifelong learning activities, accommodate groups of up to 20, and organise craft-based courses and workshops tailored specifically to their needs.
- The studio will be flexible, with sinks and equipment screened off when not in use.
- The space will interconnect to a â€œMaker in Residenceâ€ studio by means of moveable partition screens.
- The studio will also be equipped with IT equipment to facilitate the use of new technology within craft practice e.g. enable makers to instruct on the integration of digital and hand processes.
â€˜Maker in Residenceâ€™ Studio:
- The studio will support emerging and established makers by providing an opportunity for established makers to create a new body of work, whilst encouraging professional development in other emerging makers by exposure to the inspiring atmosphere of working alongside established professionals in a Master Class series of events.